Slip and Fall

Slip and Fall

Monday, April 25th, 2011

If you or a family member are injured as a result of a dangerous condition on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Property owners have a legal duty to maintain their property in a reasonably safe condition. However, property owners are not strictly (or automatically) liable for your injuries if you are hurt on their premises. You must be able to show that there was a dangerous condition or hazard on the premises. Here are some examples of a dangerous condition:


  • wet floors
  • spills of foreign substances on floors
  • lack of proper hand-rails on stairs or ramps
  • pedestrian ramps that are too steep
  • irregular steps or stairways
  • inadequate lighting
  • cracks or other surface irregularities in sidewalks
  • potholes in parking lots
  • lack of mats or rugs at building entrances
  • inadequate maintenance of balcony or stairway railing
  • inadequate security
  • falling merchandise

If you have a slip and fall, trip and fall or suffer some other type of injury at a store, restaurant, office building, school, business or on someone else’s property, you should immediately report the incident to the property owner or manager and demand that they make a written report describing the event. Be sure you get the name and title of the person who makes the report. Obtain names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident. If possible, take photos of the location where you fell or were injured and the surrounding area. Many people have cell phones with built-in cameras – - if you have one, use it to photograph the scene. If you don’t have a digital camera or a camera-phone with you, consider buying a disposable single-use camera. They may even sell them in the store where you fell or were injured.

If you are experiencing severe pain or discomfort following a fall or other type of accident, seek emergency medical treatment. If you choose not to go to the emergency room, then see your doctor or a chiropractor as soon after the accident as possible for medical evaluation and treatment.

Finally, seek legal advice from a personal injury attorney who is experienced at handling slip and falls and other types of premises liability claims. This type of claim can be challenging to prove and you need a knowledgeable, experienced attorney representing you.

At Slaughter & Slaughter, we have the technical know-how and determination to fight for our clients and strive to get them the maximum compensation they deserve. If you have been injured as a result of a slip and fall or other type of accident on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to recover your damages, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.

Don’t delay, call today for more information and a free evaluation of your claim.

Call now for a FREE consultation 888-207-5321